Saturday, June 12, 2010

World Cup Fever

I know I know.  Don't even say it. It's been almost five months since my last post.  My apologies.  The time really flew by.  There's been so much going on.  My last post was in response to the tragic earthquake in Haiti.  And I've been networking with various people to try to do some projects for Haiti.  My song that I displayed in the last post was supposed to be making it onto a benefit CD produced by Alan Cavé.  If you are familiar with Haitian music, then you know who that is.  I still don't know what's going on with that.  I should probably call him. But as soon as I know something I'll let you know.

But on another note, the 2010 World Cup is here!  Soccer (ahem I mean Futbol) is a passion of mine.  My dad played professionally in Haiti, and my siblings and I grew up in an environment where soccer was seen as a major priority.  

This year the World Cup is in South Africa.  And I couldn't be more happy to finally have it in the motherland.  That's pretty big.  The U.S. plays their first game of the Cup today, against England.  While the U.S. is only 2- 7 against England,  the only official game was in the 1950 World Cup, where the U.S. beat England 1-0.  It was perhaps the greatest upset in soccer history.  And if I can interject some Haitian pride for a second, the single goal was scored for the U.S. by a Haitian striker, Joe Gaetjens.


Now many, including myself, are hoping for history to repeat itself.  The U.S. hasn't met England in an official match since that 1950 game.  They aren't expected to win, just like they weren't back then.  And again, they have a young striker of Haitian descent, Jozy Altidore.  So are all the ingredients there for another upset?  I hope so.  Because as far as I'm concerned, it'll be a game for the U.S. and secretly a game for Haiti as well.

Now enjoy this Shakira video and this video of K'naan's performance for the start of the Cup.  If you weren't already suffering from World Cup fever, these will help.



No comments:

Post a Comment